Chicken Bone Broth Recipe
This broth is a huge staple in both the Vita Kitchen and at my house! Chicken feet lend a lot of collagen to the broth, so do your best to find them. If you can’t, just use extra chicken bones. Always try to source free-range and organic chicken bones if possible.
The kombu seaweed, which is added at the end of cooking, adds a nice flavor and boost of umami to this broth.
CHICKEN BONE BROTH
YIELD: 12 quarts.
* Note: this is a big batch! You can halve it to make a smaller batch (6 quarts)
3 lb chicken feet
6 lb chicken wings
7 lb chicken backs
3 large onions, quartered and peeled
6 celery stalks
4 bay leaves
1 Tbsp black peppercorns
1 bunch parsley stems
4-inch piece of kombu
12 qts water
1. Bring bones and water to boil, skimming off foam as it comes up to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 3 hrs
3. Add vegetables + seasoning (except kombu!) and simmer 2 more hrs.
4. Add kombu for last 10 min of cooking.
5. Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
6. Can be packaged and frozen for later use!